Mouse and X problems

Hello

I am trying to to install Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 rev 2 non US on to Compaq Professional Workstation 5000 (system outline below).

So far I have managed to successfully install the basic Debian system. But I need to recompile the kernel to take advantage the systemy?s dual processors on trying to do this I discovered that ?make? and ?xconfig? had not been installed.

I try to fix this by using ?tasksel -s? to upgrade the basic Debian system to a standard system (ok I admit it I dony?t want to spend time trawling through ?dselect? looking for the right packages). During the install process I was given a number of new mouse options to choose from. I probably got this badly wrong because it seems to have led to the following problems:

Mouse problem-
On rebooting mouse cursor is now either stationary in the middle of the screen or shoots uncontrollably all over the screen with the slightest movement of the mouse.

Cany?t get ?man? pages-
Using the keyboard I managed to get an ?xterm? up but was unable to display any ?man? pages the error message was ?man: can?t create a temporary filename: Permission denied? at the time I was logged in as root.

X became very unstable-
If I tried to run ?mc?, ?gmc? or ?xmseconfig? X would hang.

General X question-
Is there any method in which you can reboot a system with out it automatically booting X?

I would be very grateful if any one could give me a suggestion as to what to do next.

Look forward to receiving any helpful pointers.

James

System Outline:

Compaq Professional Workstation 5000

CPU
Processor- Intel Pentium Pro
Number (SMP)- 2
Speed (Mhz)- 150

RAM
Quantity (MB)- 130.228
Type- 60-ns DIMMs (EDO) (ECC)

Buses
PCI slots- 3
ISA slots- 1
Combination slots PCI/ISA- 1

Hand Drives
Number- 2
Type- SCSI
Size (GB)- 1.91 (each)

CD-ROM
Type- SCSI
Manufacturer/Model- Hitachi CDR-7930

Mouse
Type- PS/2
Manufacturer/Model- Microsoft Wheel Mouse
Buttons- 2 + wheel button

Video
Video Card- 3dfx Voodoo 3
RAM (MB)- 16