Re: I've been getting scanned...

On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 12:01:35AM -0400, Eugene Tyurin wrote:

> How about such compiling portsentry from scratch?  Novel idea, eh? :-)

I do it m'self, but I *prefer* to use the package system when I can.
It's just a constant frustration for me that to use the (most
excellent) apt/dpkg system, I have to stay two years out of date.

> There's no reason why it *shouldn't* install in potato (and slink, and...),
> except the maintainers.

Which is kind of my point.  If I were made dictator of the Debian
project (not bloody likely) I would declare all distributions to age
out at six months:  at that point, unstable becomes testing, testing
becomes frozen, frozen becomes stable, period.  And six months would
be a MAXIMUM, not the standard cycle.  One year of built-in
obsolescence is still a lot.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net