Re: line numbers in code

Tommi Komulainen <Tommi.Komulainen@iki.fi> writes:

> 1. If you are not running make, but gcc directly, then I suggest you
>    make a small Makefile, it'll usually pay off if you compile often.

If you're running gcc directly, you may not even _need_ a Makefile.

Given a file prog.c, and no Makefile,

make prog

will correctly compile prog.  You can set the CC, CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, etc
environment variables to change the default rules.

If you have more than one file creating an executable, you want a
Makefile, but this is great for quick things.

You are the only person to ever get this message.