Re: line numbers in code

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 08:59:48PM +0100, john gennard wrote:
> I'm having to look for certain lines in code and have been doing so
> by laboriously counting down the program. As many error messages
> make reference to line numbers, I feel sure there must be a simple
> way to locate say 'line 1267' How do people go about this?

Since you mentioned error messages, I'm assuming you get those while
compiling, eg. running make.[1]  Some editors, at least vim and emacs,
support compiling directly from within them.  Should you receive any
errors during the compile, the cursor will be automatically moved on the
right line in the right file!

In vim the command is :make, in emacs M-x compile.  Help for those
commands will tell you more.

1. If you are not running make, but gcc directly, then I suggest you
   make a small Makefile, it'll usually pay off if you compile often.

--
Tommi Komulainen                                 Tommi.Komulainen@iki.fi
GPG 1024D/68388EE6    6FD6 DD79 EB38 BF6F 3533  09C0 04A8 9871 6838 8EE6