Re: Caching-only nameserver - which bind

On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 12:40:39AM -0400, Paul Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm about to configure a caching only nameserver for my dialup box, and I
> noticed that there are two variants of the bind package available, bind
> and bind9.  I know that the bind package is version 8.x
>
> Which version should I use?

If caching is all you need, there are better alternatives.  Some are
even specifically meant for dialup hosts, but unfortunately I can't
remember any of those by name.  I'm not too sure if any of those is even
packaged, but we'll always have freshmeat.net. :)

I'd say djbdns is a good choice too.  It's more efficient since if all
you want is a caching only nameserver, then all you run is a caching
only nameserver, not a full-blown nameserver with all
master-slave-dnssec-dynamic-updates -features disabled.

It's configuration is totally different from bind, though, but not
difficult.  And you'll also need to compile it yourself as it's license
doesn't allow distributing modified binaries, which are required to make
it follow the filesystem hierarchy used in debian.

If I didn't manage to scare you away already, install djbdns-installer
package and see where it takes you.  You'll also need to install
daemontools(-installer) as djbdns uses a somewhat different method from
/etc/init.d -scripts to start.

--
Tommi Komulainen                                 Tommi.Komulainen@iki.fi
GPG 1024D/68388EE6    6FD6 DD79 EB38 BF6F 3533  09C0 04A8 9871 6838 8EE6