Re: Disk performance and SWAP file location

hi ya walter

good question ...
	- anybody measued any of the partition schemes ??

am assuming "a" is the outer tracks .... "d" is the inner tracks...

-- swap should be NOT an issue... if you sustain constant 32Mb or 64Mb or
   128Mb of swap space usage .... ADD that much more memory !!!

-- you should optimize for os calls and data ...
	- what is the server doing most of the time...
	- calculating something  or  read/writing to disks ??

i tend to use the following partitions... ( just because ... no particular
reason as far as disk geometry
	hda1	/	64Mb	to allow single user boots to fix thesystem
	hda2	/tmp	128Mb
	hda3	/var	512Mb or whatver for web/email servers
	hda5	/usr	4Gb for system styff
	hda6	swap	2x memory
	hda7	/home	rest of disk

	so i suspect... most of the head is moving between the first few
	4Gb of disk...and as you add more and more data under /home.... you'd stay
	more towards the center of the disks ??

am NOt sure you can optimize your partitions for general server issues...
but if you know you are gonna be computing pie or doing finite element
analysis.... thats a whole new ball game ???
	- how much time and $$$ does one wanna spend to get computations
	done in 1 day vs 2 days or 1 week vs 2 weeks..etc..etc..

-- put all user data on a separate disk would be a good start

-- using (properly) stripped disk to allow reading 2x as fast is good...
-- using scsi disks might be a better disks for high thruput disk transfers...

c ya
alvin

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Walter L. Preuninger II wrote:

> I wouild like to optimize my partitioning scheme
>
> Example A
>
> 	space		a		b		swap(center of drive)	c		d
>
> Example B
>
> 	a		b		swap		c		d
>
> Example C
>
> 	a		b		c		d		swap(center of drive)

example C does NOT seem to be center of disk as compared to example A