Re: [users] Re: a quickie

Also, if you're running, oh, say, and email or web server on you server
rack, you might be concerned if the server were rebooted, since the
service would be unavaliable for a while. On a heavily-loaded email
server with a large (ext2) mail partition with quota support enabled,
the checkquota proces alone will be intolerably long for the middle of
the day.

My suggestion: purchase a KVM. In my case, I've got a low-end 4-port KVM
on my racks. There are about 12 machines there, but most are running
Debian, so I rarely need a console connection on those. I leave windows
machines and our voice mail server attached to ports 1-3. Port 4 I have
as a "roamer" and attach to whichever Debian box I need at the moment
(had a machine that tended to lock up and segfault for instance).

By adding a KVM, not only have I eliminated the possibility of rebooting
a Linux machine when I intended to log into an NT server, I have also
largely emiminated having to rummage around the back side of the rack
swapping cables. I hadn't realized that was a problem until one of our
techs went through like a bull in a china shop and knocked the power
cord loose from my email server. Now, since I've made the NT boxes all a
pushbutton away, I'm the only one who ever needs to swap cables. Since I
had to clean up the mess whenever the mail server got abruptly booted, I
am much more careful than the people who caused the crashes.

As for pride:

SNMP station:
$ uptime
  5:38pm  up 272 days, 19:12,  1 user,  load average: 0.22, 0.59, 0.60
$

Utility web server/general use server:
$ uptime
  5:41pm  up 205 days, 18:26,  1 user,  load average: 1.03, 1.03, 1.00
$

mail server:
$ uptime
  5:42pm  up 285 days, 23:40,  1 user,  load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00
$

Web server:
$ uptime
  5:43pm  up 285 days, 23:38,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
$

... and people ask why we run Debian :-)

--Rich

Paul Wright wrote:

> > so what does 114 days of uptime buy you?
> >

> A sense of pride.
>

> > does it matter that much???
> >

> To me, no.  To others, maybe.
>
> --