Re: fetchmail/fetchpop etc.

	Subject: fetchmail/fetchpop etc.
	Date: Sat, May 26, 2001 at 08:03:41AM +1000

Quoting Alan Davis(adavis@saipan.com):
> For years I used fetchmail to fetch the mail on my ISP's POP3 server.
> Now, for at least a year, I have had trouble with fetchmail, and have resorted to fetchpop.  Fetchpop doesn't work right for my current ISP---but that's another issue.
>
> With fetchmail, I get something like the following.  I suspect there is something wrong with the way I am setting my system up, since a new box I have just installed has a similar behavior.
>
> ----------------- BEGIN error message
> bash-2.05$ fetchmail
> 5 messages (5 seen) for spn2520 at mail.saipan.com.
> reading message 1 of 5 (1503 header octets) .fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed

I recall that I had this a looong time ago. IIRC I fixed it by adding
local_domains = localhost:mtntop.home
                ^^^^^^^^^^
in /etc/exim.conf

The messages you get below do not ring a bell tho.

> fetchmail: can't raise the listener; falling back to $sendmail %Tsh: spn2520: command not found
>  (1121 body octets) .fetchmail: SIGPIPE thrown from an MDA or a stream socket error
> fetchmail: socket error while fetching from mail.saipan.com
> fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
> fetchmail: terminated with signal 13
> bash-2.05$
> ----------------- END error message

 I have one other localhost entry in exim.conf

 host_accept_relay = localhost:192.168.1.0/16

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

--
The day-to-day travails of the IBM programmer are so amusing to most of
us who are fortunate enough never to have been one -- like watching