Re: Message type unreachable - bad...

On Fri, 25 May 2001 12:25:47 PDT, Eric wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 02:48:15PM -0400, Paul Wright wrote:
*snip*

> > I have the following (or similar) message from ippl (my ip logger) showing up
> > in my syslog every hour on the hour:
> >
> > May 25 12:02:02 j001 ippl: ICMP message type destination unreachable - bad port from 127.0.0.1

*snip*

> I know that fetchmail generates these when delivering mail.

Yes, I used fetchmail before and saw it then too.

I'm attempting to learn the meanings of the various messages in my
logfiles.

I'd like to get beyond the point of saying "oh, that happens
all of the time, I'll just ignore it." ;)

Does anyone know of a good rescource for interpeting logfiles?

What tools are helpfull in managing / interpeting logs?

I currently am using logcheck and syslog-summary.  I'd like to know of
additional / other tools people find useful.  I'd also like to know if
others may have some handy filtering tips for the tools I'm using now.

Thanks,

--
Paul T. Wright <paul@cvanet.com>
-currently seeking employment-