Message type unreachable - bad...

Hi all,

Question about logs, logging, etc.

I have the following (or similar) message from ippl (my ip logger) showing up
in my syslog every hour on the hour:

May 25 12:02:02 j001 ippl: ICMP message type destination unreachable - bad port from 127.0.0.1

(sorry about not wrapping that)

I've determined that this happens when logcheck sends it's report to my
MTA (masqmail) which then forwards the message to me in accordance with ny
/etc/aliases file.

I do not generate a similar message when sending mail off site, but I do
when fetching my mail from my POP mail provider(s).  This also occured
when I was using fetchmail (before two weeks ago). This message occurs for
every mail that is delivered to a user on the local machine.

Am I correct in assuming the ICMP message is being generated by masqmail
and not by another program, possibly procmail?

Is there another program that is called by masqmail or procmail that causes
this?

My gut says this has to do with dns, and that if I were to add a
caching-only server on my machine, this would go away.  Is this correct?

Thanks for the help.

--
Paul T. Wright <paul@cvanet.com>
-currently seeking employment-