Re: Install over another Linux

Rafael Sasaki wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I`m with a machine to install the Debian Linux on it. I`ve already got the
> files to install it, but i`m with a doubt.
>   The machine has a Windows 98 and a Conectiva Linux (a brasilian
> distribution of Linux) and I`m supposed to install Debian over the Conectiva
> instalation. But I was thinking what will happen to the Lilo. The Debian
> instalation will handle it right? How can I do this instalation? Do I have
> to uninstall Lilo first? If yes, how can I do it?
>
> Thank`s,
>   Rafael Sasaki
>
> P.S. Sorry for my bad english. I`m trying to improve it.

Hello Rafael,

you don't have to apolpgise for your english. This is an
international list and I guess the majority of people subscribed
here are not perfect in english, including me.

I owuldn't bother about lilo. The Debian installation automatically
asks you what to do with lilo and if you say install in mbr the old
one will be overriden. I would much more wonder about all the other
stuff of your old linux installation, unless Conectiva is a Debian
based dirtibution.
I would recomend to format your partition to get a clean
installation of Debian.

Frank