Trouble setting up ALSA for a AC97

Hello together,

today I was trying to set up ALSA on my Debian testing. Since I have
this shitty Onboard Soundchip AC97 I need to use at least ALSA 0.5,
because the chip is not supported by earlier versions.

I know that it works together with my card just fine, since I had a
SuSE some time ago and there, the card was autodetected by alsaconf.
Bad luck I completely threw away SuSE, the config files would have
helped me a lot. :-(

On Debian, alsaconf just offers me a list of drivers and I don't know
which one to select.

And it's getting worse: starting up alsaconf, I get the message

,----
| Modprobe: Can't locate module: snd
| cat /proc/asound/version: No such file or directory
| expr: Syntax error
`----

then it starts up anyway.

Am I missing any packages or kernelmodules? I've got alsa-base 0.5,
alsa-utils 0.5 and alsaconf 0.4.3 installed.

Is anybody running this card successfully and can give me a hint how
to set it up?

I made even another mistake: For some reason (don't ask me why), I
deleted the alsa-ip-up-script from /etc/init.d/. It seems to be in
alsa-base. Can anyone tell me how to extract a single file from a
*.deb?

Thanks a lot,

Henrik

--