Progeny install problems

I'm trying to reinstall Progeny Debian 1.0 (boxed copy), and I'm getting weird problems.

My original plan was to boot off the CD, use the partition program to remove the root partition and reformat it, and proceed with the install.  This didn't work -- the Progeny partition tool accepted my commands, but when I clicked next, it immediately said it was finished and that I could reboot.

Not only did it not copy any files, but it didn't reformat the partition, either. When I rebooted, the old system was still there.

I then deleted the root partition using parted and tried again. Still no dice. Any ideas why this might be?  I recall that the first time I installed Progeny Debian 1.0, it worked just fine.  Of course, I didn't have a copy of 1.0 on it previously. I can't really think of anything much different (after deleting the partition) other than having GRUB installed.  Could this cause some weirdness?

Thanks!

Jen