Woody SSH and spurious DNS calls

Recently I upgraded a box to woody and ever since it takes a lot of time
to start ssh from that box.  Only starting from that box, connecting to
it is normal, and (quit telling) only when my internet connection is down.

With tcpdump it's clear that the only thing going on over the net is a
DNS query.  I've the local machine and the machine connecting too both
in /etc/hosts, yet there is this DNS query.

I tried sniffit to look into the DNS query, but I don't understand how
that should be done; would be interesting to see just what addres is
looked-up.

I tried strace ..., but can't make sense out of its output, yet.

So any pointer in howto get to the bits is appreciated, any pointer
of how to prevent such spurious DNS queries is also appreciated.

--
groetjes, carel