Help installing Debian-LINUX

Hello
I am a new user of LINUX, & want to install Debian-LINUX in my system. I already have windows-98 in my system. I have a 20GB hard disk partitioned into 4 Drives. I want to install LINUX in one of my pre-exixting partitions(e,g : D/). How can I do it? Can I install it in D:\ without disturbing the windows-98 which is in c: drive? Do I have to repartition the hard disk while installing Debian-LINUX? If I succeed in installing how can I swith between operating systems?
Please help me in these matters.
Email me at : smruti_jena@hotmail.com