Re: your mail

I had responded to the earlier post by Jenner, but I seem to be
expiriencing random mail loss (see my post "Re: Missing mail..." to help"

> JA> Hi everybody!
> JA>
> JA> I just install Debian on my computer and as soon as it reboot it display me this:
> JA> FA1:
>
> This happened to me when i upgraded the cpu in my box and accidentaly
> overclocked it, if you machine is overclocked, you need to set it back to its
> recommended settings, this also includes overclocking memory with bios settings
> & etc. Linux uses all hardware more effectively and aggresively than bloatsoft,
> so overclocking is more likely to cause trouble.

I too saw the mysterious FA1 message one time long ago, and only after
much contemplation and endless searching did I find the following:

The boot prompt looks something like this:

>4.1 The boot prompt
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>14FA:
>
>This is the list of valid keys which may be pressed.  This means that
>partitions 1, and 4 can be booted, also the first floppy drive
>(F).  The A means that 'advanced' mode may be entered, in which any
>partition may be booted.  The prompt for this mode looks like this:
>
>1234F:
>
>The only other valid key which may be pressed is RETURN, which
>continues booting with the default partition.

The above is from "/usr/share/doc/mbr/README"

My sugestion is to use a boot floppy (you did make a boot floppy, didn't
you?) and press "F", then see "man install-mbr" and the above README. You
may have your master boot reccord manager pointing at the wrong partition
(should point to the partition with /boot on it), or the necessary info is
beyond reach.

An alternative suggestion, that was at one time guarenteed to start a flame
war for just bringing it up, is to install LILO on the mbr instead of the
mbr manager. See "man lilo.real" for more info about this.

Good luck and have fun.

--
Paul T. Wright <paul@cvanet.com>
-currently seeking employment-