Re: Help installing Debian-LINUX

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 10:07:18AM +0530, Smruti Jena wrote:
> Hello
> I am a new user of LINUX, & want to install Debian-LINUX in my system. I
> already have windows-98 in my system. I have a 20GB hard disk partitioned
> into 4 Drives. I want to install LINUX in one of my pre-exixting
> partitions(e,g : D/). How can I do it? Can I install it in D:\ without
> disturbing the windows-98 which is in c: drive? Do I have to repartition the
> hard disk while installing Debian-LINUX? If I succeed in installing how can
> I swith between operating systems?

You should take the time to read the installation instructions at -
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/#new-inst

Yes you can install debian on the disk in question without disturbing
Windows.  I'm assuming you are installing from a bootable cd disk.  Slap
the cd in and boot.  Make sure the bios is set to boot off the cdrom.
You will be asked to partion the disk.  At that point you should create
your debian partitions on what would be the D: partition looking from
your windows side.  After you have installed debian you can dual boot
with Lilo or Grub.  Keep in mind that if you make the wrong move during
the partitioning/creating filesytem stage you could hose your Windows
side -- so make a backup.
hth,
kent

--