Adding a kernel entry for grub (analogy to running lilo step?)

As a longtime LILO user, I'm a bit perplexed faced with the large
amount of docs concerning grub.  When I compiled a new kernel and
wanted LILO to know about it, I'd edit /etc/lilo.conf and run
lilo again to update the boot sector.

Since grub knows about filesystems, do I need to do a similar
update step?  Or do I simply edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and reboot?

I thought I'd ask before possibly rendering my system unbootable
and resorting to a rescue disk.

Thanks,
Peter