EIDE driver

hello. I have an enhanced ide motherboard with a new fujitsu 20 gbyte
harddrive.
When I try to enable dma on the drive the following is reported:
/dev/hda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

Is this because the ide controler ( on board) doesnt support dma?
How about to change the pio modes?
when I try to change to pio mode 2 ( I know it is supported by both the
drive and controelr) the following is reported:

/dev/hda:
 attempting to set PIO mode to 2
 HDIO_SET_PIO_MODE failed: Function not implemented

can any body tell me why all these error occur?

I have kernel 2.4.1
thank you