Re: Adding a kernel entry for grub (analogy to running lilo step?)

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 10:22:10AM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

| As a longtime LILO user, I'm a bit perplexed faced with the large
| amount of docs concerning grub.  When I compiled a new kernel and

You found a large amount of docs?  Lucky you ;-).  I didn't think
there was a whole lot of documentation (yet).

| wanted LILO to know about it, I'd edit /etc/lilo.conf and run
| lilo again to update the boot sector.
|
| Since grub knows about filesystems, do I need to do a similar
| update step?  Or do I simply edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and reboot?
|
| I thought I'd ask before possibly rendering my system unbootable
| and resorting to a rescue disk.

Here you get to experience the beauty of grub.  All you need to do is
edit /boot/grub/menu.lst.  When you reboot you will see the new entry
in the menu.

Now suppose you either (a) forgot to update the menu.lst file or (b)
made a mistake when you updated it.  When you reboot simply enter the
command line mode of grub and enter in the correct boot sequence
commands.  You will then be able to boot and fix the menu.lst file.
Alternatively you can enter the "edit entry" mode and interactively
edit the entry and then run it.  This doesn't save your modifications
in the menu.lst file, but it allows you to boot your system regardless
of host the menu.lst was set up prior to boot.

-D