Re: Debian 2.2 in Armada E500

Arian Novruzi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering if somebody has succeded  installing Debian
> in a Armada E500, or in a laptop in general.

Many people use laptops like me. There is a site that has info on your
book. Luckily I remembered that this is a Compaq -- give details as per
the other post.
http://www.linux-laptop.net/

> Personally, I found installation of Debian quite frustrating, although
> I like this Linux distribution. It's really pity that a dood distribution
> like Debian doesn't recognize nothing in my system while RedHat
> recognizes all, without problem (expect modem - winmodem).
> Another thing, I installed Gnome and Enlighment but the graphical
> interface was so strange and difficult to work - I like the design of
> Gnome under Redhat.

Most of this is that you don't understand the install too well and how
to load modules and what your hardware components are at this moment.
Debian has many good features but isn't the easiest to install but most
of the time spent is not on the initial install but the upgrades,
updates and additions during the life of the computer. This is where
Debian saves you $$/time but you have to be willing to learn.

> After 4 attemps, I succede to install the X server and finally the mouse.
> But no success of installing the modem (I didnt' try the
> ethernet card). Because of this I get back into RedHat but
> I intend to try installing Debian again - because I like it apt package.
>
> I appreciate any successful experiance with Debian on laptops or
> any other clue (I'm not a linux expert - just a basic user).

You don't have to be an expert but installing is not for a basic user
either. What you do from here is up to you but if you post good
messages, people will help you.

Eric