Re: Debian 2.2 in Armada E500

on Mon, May 21, 2001 at 10:48:40PM -0700, Arian Novruzi (a.novruzi@math.ubc.ca) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering if somebody has succeded  installing Debian
> in a Armada E500, or in a laptop in general.
>
> Personally, I found installation of Debian quite frustrating, although
> I like this Linux distribution. It's really pity that a good
> distribution like Debian doesn't recognize nothing in my system while
> RedHat recognizes all, without problem (expect modem - winmodem).
> Another thing, I installed Gnome and Enlighment but the graphical
> interface was so strange and difficult to work - I like the design of
> Gnome under Redhat.
>
> After 4 attemps, I succede to install the X server and finally the
> mouse.  But no success of installing the modem (I didnt' try the
> ethernet card). Because of this I get back into RedHat but I intend to
> try installing Debian again - because I like it apt package.
>
> I appreciate any successful experiance with Debian on laptops or
> any other clue (I'm not a linux expert - just a basic user).

First, read:

    How to Report Bugs Effectively

    In a nutshell, the aim of a bug report is to enable the programmer
    to see the program failing in front of them. You can either show
    them in person, or give them careful and detailed instructions on
    how to make it fail. If they can make it fail, they will try to
    gather extra information until they know the cause. If they can't
    make it fail, they will have to ask you to gather that information
    for them.

Provide specific details on what's failing, specifying:

  - Names and versions of software/hardware involved.
  - What you're doing (command input, with arguments if possible).
  - Error or diagnostic output.  This can be terminal output, system
    logs, dmesg, various /proc resources, or physical descriptions of
    the problem, e.g.:  "smoking mouse".

Note that GNU/Linux, and GNU/Linux distros, aren't monolithic affairs,
they're sets of systems and subsystems.  If something doesn't work, you
have to track it down to the appropriate root cause.

For you modem, a full spec, manufacturer, identifiers on major chips
(just eyeball some of the big ones and note the nubers/mfr markings),
and output of dmesg and lspci.

WRT GNOME, what specific characteristics under RH?  You should be able
to duplicate this configuration more-or-less precisely.

Watch your spelling and grammar, it can lead to confusion.