Where is as86?

Started to build a 2.2.19 kernel for my second computer. Make bzImage exited with error 2 because it couldn't find as86. My first computer has as86 from somewhere and I bulit the 2.2.19 kernel with no problem.

I tried apt-get install as86 and got a message that it couldn't find an as86 package in the stable distributions. I was rather surprised as there is a man page for as86 on the first computer and it appears to a program from the dawn of time. At least it talks about an 80186 cpu and the only place I have ever encountered an 80186 is in my HP100.

Any one know where as86 comes from?