Best way to move to 2.4 kernel?

I am running an ASUS P2B-DS based MB with dual Pentium III 500 and 512 Meg RAM.

I switched from RedHat to Debian about two months ago (on this and all
of my other machines). I have been very pleased with Debian (2.2r3).

It is becoming apparent that I should switch to the 2.4 kernel for
better SMP support and it seems that things are stabilizing with the
2.4.5 release work.

My question to the group is this. Which Debian release should I use -
Potato with modification for 2.4 or Woody? I want as stable a machine
configuration as I can get while settling on the 2.4 kernel.

Guidance, suggestions, and comments appreciated!

Thanks -- Randy