Re: Best way to move to 2.4 kernel?

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 12:23:44PM -0700, Randolph S. Kahle wrote:
> I am running an ASUS P2B-DS based MB with dual Pentium III 500 and 512 Meg RAM.
>
> I switched from RedHat to Debian about two months ago (on this and all
> of my other machines). I have been very pleased with Debian (2.2r3).
>
> It is becoming apparent that I should switch to the 2.4 kernel for
> better SMP support and it seems that things are stabilizing with the
> 2.4.5 release work.
>
> My question to the group is this. Which Debian release should I use -
> Potato with modification for 2.4 or Woody? I want as stable a machine
> configuration as I can get while settling on the 2.4 kernel.
>
> Guidance, suggestions, and comments appreciated!

I would suggest reading Adrian Bunk's page.  You just need to add a
couple of lines to your sources.list to include these files and then
you can apt-get install kernel-package kernel-source-2.4.4 iptables
etc.  And then just compile you new 2.4.4 kernel using the
kernel-package stuff (make-kpkg).  This allows you to still run potato
but with the extra stuff for 2.4 kernels already compiled for you in
.deb format.

There are links to Adrian Bunk's site on the Potato installation
instructions pages.  Or just do a google search for: Adrian Bunk debian

HTH
Mark.