Re: [users] packaging hell

"Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@storm.ca> wrote:
>On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 05:34:11PM -0400, MaD dUCK wrote:
>> run 'apt-get -f install'
>>
>> then try again. if that doesn't work, repeat, but don't retry.
>> anything related to libc etc al. is sketchy to update. if libstdc++
>> won't install, you can always force it to...
>
>    Yeah, I tried that already.
>
>    I'm wondering if the last package is, perhaps, not in stable for some
>reason?

Stable? You seem to have your system somewhere between stable and
unstable at the moment ...

     libc6 |   2.1.3-18 |        stable | i386
     libc6 |    2.2.3-1 |       testing | i386
     libc6 |    2.2.3-1 |      unstable | i386

>    BTW, is anyone planning to expand the errors in apt-get to explain _why_
>something isn't going to be installed?

I guess the apt folks would say something to the effect that apt-get was
only meant as a proof of concept / debugging tool in the first place,
and this sort of thing can and should be left up to frontends such as
aptitude and console-apt/deity. You could try 'apt-get -o
Debug::pkgProblemResolver=1 install foo', though (documented in
apt.conf(5)).

Cheers,