Re: ~/.Xdefaults

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 11:50:47AM +0100, Keith O'Connell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have not until recently had cause to use this file, but I put some
> Netscape modifications in it. I assumed that with a name like
> .Xdefaults, it would load the default values when the X-Server started,
> but
> apparently not.
>
> It seems that to get this file read into the system I have to go to a
> terminal and type;
>
>         "xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults"

Debian uses the file ~/.Xresources for your personal modifications.

> I should at this point say that I log into X with xdm as a front end. I
> know that ~/.Xdefaults loads fine if I use startx at the command line.

Are you certain of this?  I use startx and have a recollection that
~/.Xdefaults is not accessed when X is started.  Looking at

/etc/X11/Xsession

would appear to support this view.

> Why will it not load with xdm at the front. What is the crucial
> difference between the two ways of starting X that relates to
> configuration and defaults?
>
> How do I get this file to load automatically at start time?

/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc indicates there is no difference between using
xdm and startx.

Brian.