~/.Xdefaults

Hi,

I have not until recently had cause to use this file, but I put some
Netscape modifications in it. I assumed that with a name like
.Xdefaults, it would load the default values when the X-Server started,
but
apparently not.

It seems that to get this file read into the system I have to go to a
terminal and type;

        "xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults"

I should at this point say that I log into X with xdm as a front end. I
know that ~/.Xdefaults loads fine if I use startx at the command line.
Why will it not load with xdm at the front. What is the crucial
difference between the two ways of starting X that relates to
configuration and defaults?

How do I get this file to load automatically at start time?

Keith
| Keith O'Connell                  |     "That which does not kill     |
| Maidstone, Kent (UK)             |      us, usually still hurts.     |
| keith_oconnell@bigfoot.com       |   That's just life, I'm afraid"   |