Re: lprng problem.

On Thu, 17 May 2001 18:29:12 Joel Mayes wrote:
> G'day All,
>
> I'm running Debian testing with kernel 2.4.4 and can not get my
printer
> ( a HP deskjet 690C ) to work, I have the parport, partport_pc, and
lp
> loaded with the correct irq, ect settings. but any request to the
printer
> ejects a blank page, except the command 'lp foobar.txt' which
prints
> "No way to print this type of file, ASCII Text' on the top of the
page

> I'm using lprng as my printer spooler and
> I've used lprngtool to set the printer settings.
>
> Any advice will be repaid with bundle of good karma,

I just reset my printer tonight, and the permissions are all
screwed up for lprng.  Try running /usr/sbin/checkpc -f -V and
see what it says. This checks your printcap for proper
directorys and permissions.  If it kicks out errors,
then su and run it again..., this will fix the permissions.

Although I love debian, I think getting a printer to work
on this dist sucks.  Just take a look at all the bug reports
for lpr, lprng and cups.  Note meant as a flame btw, just
a "fix this, improve it *alot*" should be intended.

Dana