Re: Debian Distro on Floppies?

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 05:11:12PM -0400, Ken Clarke wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to find a Linux Distro that can still be obtained for
> floppy installation.
If this is just for show, I will install Debian with IDEPCI boot floppy.
(Or if you bother to be compatible with some old drives such as
SB-CDROM, I will put standard boot/root/driver disks)

That's 2 disks to boot/root and possibly 3 (7) driver disks.  Also put base
disks which I remember span 11 FD.

Just install with easyway (not expert - no dselect).

Then you have Linux system with most of basic package.
  tar, fsck, gzip, ls, ash, ifconfig, route, ...

Well just in case you need to impress people, get one DOS disk with
  elvis-tiny(~40KB)
  traceroute(~18KB)
etc in .deb files.  install them with "dpkg -i".  (They may be already
there in base set, but this is just an idea how to get additional
package.)

If you have too much deb files, put them into one subdirectory and use
tar -M to create fixed size series of files and put them onto FD.

YES, you can do this just for show.

If I were you and need to put linux on archaic box, I take Karsens method
of swapping HD ;-)

Anything is possible in Linux.

--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +