Re: Re-installing everything.

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 08:58:20PM +0100, Stephen J. Thompson wrote:
> What is the best way of reinstalling all the packages on my system. I was
> thinking along the lines of apt-get install --reinstall, but it does not seem
> to work.

The best way is to backup your config and home directories, grab a boot floppy,
and redo it from scratch. Failing that, try piping the output of
dpkg --get-selections through grep, possibly something like this:

dpkg --get-selections | grep "\\S*\\s*deinstall" | cut -f 1

Then feed that list to apt-get --reinstall install.

--
Andrew Suffield <asuffield@users.sourceforge.net>
Dept. of Computing, Imperial College, London, UK