Re: [users] Re: What every retailer should know

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 02:36:07PM -0400, MaD dUCK wrote:
| also sprach D-Man (on Thu, 17 May 2001 02:11:46PM -0400):
| > """
| > Limited Developer Tools
| >
| > There are limited developer tools available for Linux. Those that are
| > available are much more difficult to use than Microsoft Visual Studio.
| > Thus, the same application can take much longer to develop for Linux.
| > """
|
| yup. i rofl'd a bunch at that one. i mean, after all you can't use any
| wizards on unix. which means that you write code, not macros :->.

I hadn't read the whole paragraph when I posted, just the summary at
the top.  Most of Debian is (probably, according to MS) coded in C++
and Java, right?  ;-)  Is C++ a language or a "GUI developer tool"?

| > PS.     This company is a Java shop and doesn't use Visual Studio at
| >         all, except for Visual Source Safe.  It is similar to rcs, but
| >         with a gui frontend.  I don't have much experience with cvs,
| >         but I know it is far superior!  (The gui of VSS is nice,
| >         sometimes, though)
|
| it's similar to cvs indeed. with the difference that visual source
| safe is known to corrupt the repository every now and then. i have
| worked in a couple of scenarios with visual source safe and was always
| surprised to find all the developers keeping their local copies backed
| up several times. after a little while, it was obvious - every month
| or so, visual source save four fsck up and the repository had to be
| rebuilt... i have *never* had a problem with cvs!

Interesting...

BTW  VSS is _not_ (very) similar to cvs -- VSS only allows 1 developer
to work on a file at a time.  Cvs allows concurrent development.  VSS
is similar to rcs (the cvs backend system).

-D