Re: What every retailer should know

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 12:19:38PM -0400, MaD dUCK wrote:

I am a software engineering student.  The funniest part of the
article, for me, is this paragraph :

"""
Limited Developer Tools

There are limited developer tools available for Linux. Those that are
available are much more difficult to use than Microsoft Visual Studio.
Thus, the same application can take much longer to develop for Linux.
"""

Right.  Did M$ forget that C and C++ originated on Unix systems?  (For
those who don't know, Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie and Brian Kernighan
were three of the guys who created the first Unix system and are also
the guys to created C)

I have to use Windo~1 as my development workstation at my co-op job.
My primary tools are (g)vim, bash, grep, etc ... they are *nix tools!
Without cygwin, windows would be virtually unusable.  Fortunately my
system behaves as much like unix as possible for me :-).

-D

PS.     This company is a Java shop and doesn't use Visual Studio at
        all, except for Visual Source Safe.  It is similar to rcs, but
        with a gui frontend.  I don't have much experience with cvs,
        but I know it is far superior!  (The gui of VSS is nice,
        sometimes, though)

PPS.    Most of the people here use JBuilder, but one guy uses emacs.
        A contractor whose contract recently expired also used emacs.