bothersome fsck on startup

Folks-

For some reason, my root mount (/dev/hdb3) *never* unmounts cleanly on
halt or shutdown; I always get an fsck on startup. Any idea why?

nujoma:/# cat /etc/fstab
#
<pass>
/dev/hdb3       /             ext2   defaults,errors=remount-ro 0      1
/dev/hdb2       none          swap   sw                         0      0
/dev/hdd1       /src2   vfat    umask=0000      0       0
/dev/hdd2       none          swap   sw                         0      0
/dev/hdd3       /share  ext2    defaults                        0      0
/dev/hdb1       /rosa   vfat    umask=0000
/dev/hdc1       /theodor vfat   umask=0000
/dev/hda3       /karl   ntfs    umask=0000
proc            /proc         proc   defaults                   0      0

Linux version 2.2.17 (herbert@arnor) (gcc version 2.95.2 20000313 (Debian GNU/Linux)) #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000

Andrew J Perrin - Ph.D. Candidate, UC Berkeley, Dept. of Sociology
(Soon: Asst Professor of Sociology, U of North Carolina, Chapel Hill)
andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin