Re: [offtopic] recommendation on resources (books, websites) on object oriented programming?

Walter Tautz wrote:

>  Just wondering if there are any books that explain in detail with
> real-world (non-trivial) examples just what the OOP is about and
> why it might be a good idea to use it. I have no particular
> preference for languages, rather concepts should be emphasized
> although I wouldn't mind a material that leans towards python, C++ and
> Java.

Hi Walter,
If you want a very basic book that is in plain english, then I suggest
the following.

Object Technology: A Manager's Guide
by David A., Ph.D. Taylor
Paperback - 176 pages 2nd edition (September 1997)
Addison-Wesley Pub Co; ISBN: 0201309947

This has pictures but it really explains the whys and concepts of object
technology and has some good insights as well. This book has no code
examples. BTW a manager would have to really read and study this book to
"get it" unless they are a real geek so the title is a bit misleading.

A second idea.

Java Design by Peter Coad has examples and is specific to Java using
some of the language features. Peter is one of the original OO people
and has written many books including the original OOA/OOD/OOP series and
is the inspiration behind the TogetherJ UML/Java IDE. This book has a
few far out concepts that some might not agree but overall very good.
ISBN 0-13-271149-4

Hope this helps,
Eric