Re: Mutt:Mailbox is read-only

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 03:43:20PM -0400, Sebastian Canagaratna wrote:
> I am running testing. Recently I bought a new hard disk because I was
> running out of space and copied some old partitions ( /usr and /var )
> using cp -R -d to partitions on the new hard disk. I use exim and
> mutt.
>
>    Now I have two problems. 1. After I fetch my mail using fetchmail,
>    and view it with mutt, when I press 'D' to delete a message I get
>    the message Mailbox is read-only. I have compared the permissions
>    ( the mail box is /var/spool/mail/scanagar  owned by scanagar,
>    group mail, -rw--------) and they seem to be OK. I have the old
>    partitions still to compare with. I cannot detect any difference.

scab:/$ ls -l /var/spool/mail/kent
-rw-rw----    1 kent     mail            0 May 16 13:47 /var/spool/mail/kent

>    The 2nd problem: when I try to access the man pages, I get:
>     man: can't set effective uid: operation not permitted.

You should have used "cp -a" to preserve your permissions.  It may be
more advantageous to recopy the two directories if you can.  Otherwise
your can try to recreate the permissions of those two directories.
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted