Mutt:Mailbox is read-only

I am running testing. Recently I bought a new hard disk because I was
running out of space and copied some old partitions ( /usr and /var )
using cp -R -d to partitions on the new hard disk. I use exim and
mutt.

   Now I have two problems. 1. After I fetch my mail using fetchmail,
   and view it with mutt, when I press 'D' to delete a message I get
   the message Mailbox is read-only. I have compared the permissions
   ( the mail box is /var/spool/mail/scanagar  owned by scanagar,
   group mail, -rw--------) and they seem to be OK. I have the old
   partitions still to compare with. I cannot detect any difference.

   The 2nd problem: when I try to access the man pages, I get:
    man: can't set effective uid: operation not permitted.

   I'll greatly appreciate any suggestion regarding how to proceed
   from here.

   Thanks.

   Sebastian.
--