Re: Copying one hard drive to another

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 01:48:29PM -0500, Bryan Andersen wrote:
> Nathan E Norman wrote:
> > On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 09:06:17PM -0600, Cameron Matheson wrote:
> > > I need to copy everything from hard drive to another.  I'm assuming this is
> > > done w/ dd, but I need to be sure.  Could someone give me an example of how to
> > > copy /dev/hda1 to /dev/hdb1?
> >
> > mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt
> > cd <mountpoint of /dev/hda1>
> > find -xdev | cpio -padm /mnt
>
> This is the preferred method to copy partitions.  Some files don't
> copy properly with cp or tar, and dd dosen't deal with different
> partition sizes.  In general dd is bad due to bad blocks.  Many
> new disks remap out bad blocks, but they still can develop over
> time and not be mapped out by the HD's internal controller.

whenever ANYONE says "this is the preferred method..." my
skepticism threshold goes waaaay up.

unless it's me, of course.

preferred, by whom? according to what standard?

does it do all device nodes properly? no permissions likely to
change?

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #22 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
: