Re: Copying one hard drive to another -- dd

hi bryan

> Nathan E Norman wrote:
> > On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 09:06:17PM -0600, Cameron Matheson wrote:
> > > I need to copy everything from hard drive to another.  I'm assuming this is
> > > done w/ dd, but I need to be sure.  Could someone give me an example of how to
> > > copy /dev/hda1 to /dev/hdb1?
> >
> > mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt
> > cd <mountpoint of /dev/hda1>
> > find -xdev | cpio -padm /mnt
>
> This is the preferred method to copy partitions.  Some files don't
> copy properly with cp or tar,

i havent seen a case where tar failed for me... over the years...
I dont copy/backup certain directories ( /tmp, /proc, /dev, etc )

> and dd dosen't deal with different
> partition sizes.  In general dd is bad due to bad blocks.  Many
> new disks remap out bad blocks, but they still can develop over
> time and not be mapped out by the HD's internal controller.

yes dd is bad for copying due to the above... yet... people still do it
( myself included when cloning hundreds of drives...
	- bad blocks seem to be less of a problem now days...

have fun linuxing
alvin