Re: config of xfree86 with i810

On Sat, May 12, 2001, Derya PALANCI wrote:
> i dont know the version of Xfree... how can i learn??

at command prompt:

dpkg -p xfree86-common | grep 'Version:'

This uses dpkg to show the entry for xfree86-common (base package of
xfree86) then pipes output through grep to only display the version
information.  You should see something like 3.3.6 or 4.0.?.  Further
configuration depends upon which version you have.  For 3.3.6 look
into configuration options with:

'man XF86Config'
or
'man XF86Setup'

which will give configuration explanations for two common programs to
set up X.  I don't know about 4.0.2, but these might have changed
somewhat.

> but i tried the command you wrote and it said bash : xfree86 : command not
> found

Maybe you don't have all the necessary xfree86 packages installed or
their location is not in you path (see 'echo $PATH')

> did i make smth wrong?

No, we just haven't yet figured out how to fix it.

> thanks
> derya

Sure, take care and hope this helps,

Daniel

--
Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics