Can anyone help me with a modem problem ?

Hello,
I have a Us Robotics 33.6 Internal modem, it has jumpers to set the com port and irq, and if i remove all jumpers i turns to PnP. When i connect to my isp i spend a secs online and then suddenly disconnects.. sometimes i can dial back, but most of the times when i use "pon <my connection>" pppd just exits... and i try using minicom (after the disconnection) and the modem won't inittialize, i tried the modem on windoze and it connects just fine... maybe i'm setting it up wrong so i would like some help.

thanks,

Ricardo E. Mauricio