Re: FW: debian newbie questions -- security

> On Fri, 11 May 2001, Ethan Benson wrote:
>
> > i have yet to meet a redhat box that was not already rooted, or in a
> > very rootable state.  (as in no security updates installed).
> >
> > to be fair many security holes affect all distributions that include
> > the package (assuming its installed), debian however has a much saner
> > and more efficient means for users to install security updates, and in
> > many cases the vulnerable program is not installed by default anyway.

Sorry, but this is just as much a *user* problem. I started with Redhat
about three years ago and maybe I was the exception, but I frequently
checked http://updates.redhat.com (I think that was the address) for
either security and/or application updates.

Don't blame the distro...

Regards
Hall