Re: PLIP, debian installation

> |> when trying to ping from the desktop machine to the laptop the laptops
> |> console shows the error:
> |>
> |> plip0: transmit timeout(1,80)
> |>
> |> until i cancel ping. does anyone know why this is happening?
>
> I've used this method often to do installations and upgrades on
> laptops. I see these errors regularly but they don't seem to cause any
> difficulty. I've always assumed they were just transient performance
> lapses.

sometimes the plip links works, but most of the time it doesnt and even when
it does, its only for 5-40 seconds. When the connection doesnt work at all i
get the error message, when it works partitically i get the error message a
few times.

i thought it might be a problem with the cable, however it's brand new and i
don't have a second one so i'm not able to check at the moment.

> |> also, once the connection is working how do i mount /cdrom to
> |> /cdrom on the laptop?
>
> You need to have NFS support in the kernel.

as i'm running a webserver, i'll just temporarily softlink with /cdrom.
worked fine, when the connetion was up..