Re: PLIP, debian installation

wleese@europe.nl.com wrote:

|> I'm attempting to install debian on a laptop using a plip
|> connection to a desktop machine which has a debian cdrom iso file
|> mounted on /cdrom.
|>
|> when trying to ping from the desktop machine to the laptop the laptops
|> console shows the error:
|>
|> plip0: transmit timeout(1,80)
|>
|> until i cancel ping. does anyone know why this is happening?

I've used this method often to do installations and upgrades on
laptops. I see these errors regularly but they don't seem to cause any
difficulty. I've always assumed they were just transient performance
lapses.

|> also, once the connection is working how do i mount /cdrom to
|> /cdrom on the laptop?

You need to have NFS support in the kernel. Then add to /etc/exports
the directories you wish to export. The NFS Howto has good
instructions on all of this. It should be in
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/. Once it's all set up, you should be able to use
the `mount' command (see the manpage) as root to make the /cdrom
directory on the desktop available on the laptop,

Jim