Re: [users] Re: How the average guy gets mail...

> I've been using mail for the past month (or two), by running
> 'fetchmail ; mutt'. This is a *little* bit annoying, because I'd
> rather be able to get my mail and read it with one command.  Is
> their a way to download mail, while in mutt?

well, if you have a shell account and procmail capabilities at the
mailhost *and* you get net access at least once every 4 days, then my
solution is still the best (i think):

i run postfix locally on my laptop, accepting connections from the
outside. furthermore, i have a dynamic ip host name mapping (since i
administer the dns and bind 9 allows secure remote updates), and so on
the mailhost, i instruct procmail (or .forward) to simply forward all
mail to madduck@madduck straight to madduck@fishbowl.madduck.net. so
when i am online with the laptop (fishbowl), i get mail immediately
(like it should be). however, if offline, mail will sit and wait for
me in the server queue for at most five days (then it'll bounce). not
a problem for me since 4 days of disconnection would be death anyway.
on top of that, i have an entry in /etc/crontab, which sends and ETRN
to the mailhost every hour or so. so when i go back online with the
laptop, it takes at most an hour for all my mail to get delivered, and
i could speed that up anytime:

%> nc mail.madduck.net 25
220 diamond.madduck.net ESMTP
HELO fishbowl.madduck.net
250-diamond.madduck.net
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-ETRN
250 8BITMIME
ETRN fishbowl.madduck.net
250 Queuing started
QUIT
221 Bye

which sends all outstanding mail to fishbowl. fetchmail can handle
ETRN btw.

and for dynamic hosts, there is ODMR, although i don't know a good
MTA which can speak ODMR.

btw: if i ever need to go offline for longer than 4 days, i configure
my mailhost to not forward. then it just sends them to a POP3 account,
which can buffer endlessly.

"in contrast to the what-you-see-is-what-you-get philosophy,
 unix is the you-asked-for-it,-you-got-it operating system."
                                                           --scott lee