Re: kppp

* John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> [May 09. 2001 17:25]:
> Gerard writes:
> > I prefer icewm but my family prefer kde,...
>
> gpppon should work fine with kde.
>
> > ...kppp is better than pon or gpppon for them.
>
> Only if it works.  Why not use pppconfig to set up demand dialing?  Then
> they won't have to deal with starting and stopping ppp at all.
>
> What problem \s do they have with gpppon?

gpppon is really very unfuncional, especially compared with what is available.
It turns ppp on but does not know if is on or not and does not monitor at
all.
So your phoneline may shutt off and it won't know anything.

Kinternet is very good, haven't seen it for debian however.

You may want to try bbppp though, very nice should work with kde, just
put it in .xsession to come up on the desktop.

It monitors, and has a simple click interface with lights for on/off and
traffic.

One trick: do

ln -s /usr/bin/pon /usr/bin/ppp-on
ln -s /usr/bin/poff /usr/bin/ppp-off