Re: X question

on Tue, May 08, 2001 at 08:50:53PM -0700, Steve Cooper (stevencooper@isomedia.com) wrote:
> On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 09:59:03PM -0700, Karsten M. Self decreed:
> > on Sat, May 05, 2001 at 06:50:52AM -0400, Sunny Dubey (dubeys@voyager.bxscience.edu) wrote:
> > > how do I get Xfree86 to not automatically copy everything that I highlight
> > > with my cursor?
> >
> > That *is* X behavior, by design.  I don't know of any way to disable it.
> >
> > Under X, there's no separate keystroke combination required for
> > cut'n'paste.  You just swipe to copy, then hit the 2nd (middle) mouse
> > button to paste.  After doing this for about three minutes, any other
> > method simply sucks.
>
> ---end quoted text---
>
> The only issue I have with the X behavior is that I can't figure out
> to efficiently perform a replacement paste.  E.g.  If you want to
> paste a URL into a browser in Windoze you'd select the current URL and
> paste over it.
>
> In X once you select the text you want to replace it becomes the new
> copied text.  I had some success using gclipper, because it allowed me
> to access a stack of copied text items.  Is there a better way?

You're not describing the application, techniques differ.

Essentially, you use the application's methods for deleting the text
you're going to replace, independently of the paste.

For me, the sequence is typically:

  - clear, copy, paste:  GUI tools, highlight and backspace to clear
    region.
  - copy, clear, paste:  readline-enabled tools, <ctrl>-k linekill.
  - copy, paste, clear:  misc

...note that the sequence under the Legacy MS Windows motif is:

  - select
  - indicate copy
  - select
  - indicate paste

...so you're actually saving one action in the X method.

Cheers.