Re: DDS backups

hi francisco...

hehehehee....arkeia was the "mistake"... if its not portable ??

dont know why people wanna pay $$$ for backup programs when tar is free

have fun
alvin

donno if you are looking for a silly script or not...
backing up to tape is no big deal .... nothing special

-- trick is you have to know what device driver talk to your tape drive
-- since you did not specify.... am gonna assume /dev/st0

-- am assuming you dont necessarily need to use the tape drive to
-- backup the windows boxes  ( the arkeia server/cleint thingie )

#!/bin/bash
#
# -- quickie code..... lets see
#
#
# Assume you have a scsi tape drive
#
TAPE=/dev/st0
#
#
# Directories to backup to tape
#
DIR="/root /boot /etc /home"
#
#
# Test if the tape whines... if it does...consider yourself ready to go
#
mt -f $TAPE rewind
#
if [ $? != 0 ];
then
  echo ""
  echo "Am guess your tape did not rewind..which /dev/xxx is it ???"
  exit 1
fi
#
# Do the backup to tape
#	i happen to like to compress things...
#
tar zcf $TAPE $DIR > /tmp/tape.backup.log
#
#
# always eject to prevent overwriting the tape..
# cause you forgot to  change the tape
#
mt -f $TAPE rewind
mt -f $TAPE eject