Re: X question

Lo, on Monday, May 7, Andre Berger did write:

> * Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>, 2001-05-07 09:04 +0200:
> > on Sat, May 05, 2001 at 06:50:52AM -0400, Sunny Dubey (dubeys@voyager.bxscience.edu) wrote:
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > how do I get Xfree86 to not automatically copy everything that I highlight
> > > with my cursor?
> >
> > That *is* X behavior, by design.  I don't know of any way to disable it.
>
> I don't think you get rid of it either. But maybe a "destructive" gpm
> setup with just two button, and X telling not to emulate the middle
> button, will make it difficult to paste?

That it would.  Rather unfortunately, it would also make a number of other
operations, performed with the middle button, also very difficult.
Old-style xt scrollbars use button 2 rather heavily, as do Emacs and
Netscape.  I'm sure the list goes on....

Richard