Re: a printer for Linux

On Sunday 06 May 2001 11:00, David Purton wrote:
> On Sat, 5 May 2001, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > I'm no expert on printers, but I don't think resolution is a very
> > good indication of print quality.  I think it's entirely possible
> > that a 600x600 laser will have better quality than a 1200x1200
> > inkjet.
>
> I agree - inkjet quality depends very much on the media you use
> with it. The rule is this: good output needs expensive paper.
>
> Lasers give good output on plain photocopier paper.

Sorry for the reply, but this shouldn't go unchallenged.

Laser quality also depends on the quality of paper. Try printing on
rough, (faux) handmade paper. A Lexmark / HP inkjet would give a
better output (forget about the EPSON paper optimized Epson inkjets),
quite simply because they use liquid ink. Toner (dry ink) would have
difficulty fusing on an uneven surface. For making calling cards, an
inkjet  is the better choice.